Music Banter - View Single Post - A Nice Guy's Music Musings
View Single Post
Old 09-03-2011, 03:26 AM   #7 (permalink)
TheNiceGuy
Living under the bridge

Finally got around to my first review!

The Smiths-The Queen is Dead

Track Listing: 1. The Queen is Dead (Take Me Back to Dear old Blighty) 2. Frankly Mr Shankly 3. I Know it's Over 4. Never Had No One Ever 5. Cemetry Gates 6. Bigmouth Strikes Again 7. The Boy With A Thorn in his Side 8. Vicar in a Tutu 9. There is a Light That Never Goes Out 10. Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others

Best Track: I Know It's Over or Cemetry Gates

Starting off with such a well regarded album was nice, but on first listen The Queen is Dead disappointed me a little. It seemed decent but at times muddled (Especially on the title track) indie pop/rock that seemed a bit bland as well. Everything seemed to be focused on Marr's guitarwork and it all seemed very one dimensional.

However on my second and later third listen the real quality shone through. Whilst the title track still felt very muddled and undefined in it's sound, the rest of the album started to pick up. The quaint but attractive melodies in Frankly and Cemetry Gates really caught my ear this time around. Perhaps it's that delicate sound that doesn't quite get picked up when your expecting a harder edged sound. Yes I'll admit never having never heard The Smiths before I had some preconceived ideas in my mind that they would rock a little harder, but it's all for the better that they didn't.

Morrissey really shows me why he's so well regarded for his beautiful and emotional singing delivery, as well as his sharp and witty but at the same time sombre lyrics. The best example is in I Know It's Over, with his depressed beauty shining through in his voice, and of course the lyrics (Oh Mother, I can feel the soil falling over my heaaaaddd....). His lovely vocal delivery is evident throughout, and he makes it all bond well with Marr's dominant yet again melodic guitar parts. Whilst the bass and drum influence feels more in the background, it's still solid enough I guess. To be honest with the excellent use of the guitar on, for example, Boy with a Thorn and Some Girls are Bigger Than Others it makes up for the lack of variation in the rhythm section.

If anything this album proves to me that multiple listens are needed before making judgements. With only two tracks that aren't superb (Title track and Vicar in a Tutu), it has to be a given a 13 or 14. I'll be generous and give it a low 14, really due to the dual strength of Morrissey and Marr.

EDIT: In hindsight 14 was a bit too good for the album, so I'm pulling it down a notch to a still respectable 13.

13/15

There is no Dark Side of the Moon really, matter of fact it's all dark...

Last edited by TheNiceGuy; 10-15-2011 at 09:07 PM.
TheNiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote