Music Banter - View Single Post - Roxy Music: Your thoughts?
View Single Post
Old 09-03-2011, 05:33 AM   #38 (permalink)
Unknown Soldier
Horribly Creative

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNiceGuy View Post
I have Another Time, Another Place, Dylanesque and Olympia.

Another Time is good but as it is predominantly covers it isn't great. Their are times where Bryan gets a bit too country as well, but mostly he keeps within tasteful limits.

Dylanesque immediately struck me as really muscially strong as well as the obvious lyrics strength. Not having heard a lot of Dylan I can't compare Bryan's covers to the originals but nonetheless they are well constructed and very professionally done songs.

Olympia is my favourite of his solo albums so far. Smart, balanced pop/rock here with strong melodies to boot. Bryan's almost croon has aged but it gives the vocals a mature, melancholic feel. As usual there are two strong covers, but the Ferry originals here are where the main strength of the album lies.
Apart from the Another Time covers album I don`t know the other two albums but of the Ferry solo albums I`ve heard I think The Bride Stripped Bare to be the best.

As for the Dylanesque album you`ve mentioned, well most of the best Dylan songs imo are sung by somebody else anyway and normally end up being superior to the Dylan original, from Ferry`s love of covers I`d expect him to do superior versions of Dylans songs anyway.
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote