Music Banter - View Single Post - Best of 80s synth pop
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2011, 09:24 PM   #77 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrynight View Post
I disagree, I actually like at least one quite a lot more.
Naked Eyes' "I Could Show You How" is okay, but I feel it sounds a little lonely and chilly. I definitely prefer "Always Something There To Remind Me!"

Do any of you remember the British synthpop duo, Yazoo, formed in late 1981 by former Depeche Mode songwriter Vince Clarke (synthesizer) and Alison Moyet (vocals) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yazoo_(band))? Clarke eventually formed Erasure, one of my favorite synthpop groups. I hadn't realized he was involved in all three groups.

Today a line from a sweet song I remember liking years ago suddenly ran through my head while I was unloading the dishwasher. I only recalled a fragment of the melody and these lyrics..."All I wanted was the love you gave...(something something something)...only you."

Thanks to Google, those lyrics led me to the song, "Only You," and I learned that it was by a duo called Yazoo. I also learned, to my surprise, that the main singer was a woman! All these years I thought the following song was sung by a man!

Yazoo - "Only You" (1982)

If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote