Music Banter - View Single Post - What's next for Beyonce?
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2011, 09:27 PM   #11 (permalink)
TockTockTock
They/Them

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilChuck View Post
1) You have VERY different criteria to me when it comes to 'good' singers, if that Meredith Monk is anything to go by.
I agree.

Quote:
You look for stuff you can 'appreciate', I look for stuff that touches me, that makes me have a reaction Beyonce's voice has that affect on me, she may not have the most anally perfect technical voice compared to what you look for, but fĂșck me her voice is powerful and her delivery is perfect.
Whenever I take part in a discussion about skilled singers, musicians, etc, I tend to look for versatility, eclecticism, or innovation (or all three). Of course, this doesn't mean that Monk is my favorite singer... I just consider her to be one of the best. Personally, my favorite singer is Lou Reed, and he can't sing worth shit (he even admits it ).

Quote:
When was the last time you listened to a song and had shivers go down your spine? Or had the hairs on the back of your neck stand up?
When I posted this... which was the last time I listened to music.

Quote:
2) As a measure of popularity, the charts are still the best thing we have.
... and I have never cared about how popular an artist is.

Quote:
3) Regardless of what you think, or choose to believe, the fact is when we're all dead and people look back to what was popular, what trends were around when we were young, they arent going to see Meredith Monk.
I'm sure most of the music community will... They tend to acknowledge those who have made major contributions in music. They're not any more or less important than the rest of the music-listening populace.

Quote:
They will see Beyonce, just like we see The Beatles, just like we see the Sex Pistols, Metallica, Nirvana, Jimi Hendrix, Elvis Presley. Beyonce is one of the defining artists of our generation, and based on her longevity I'd put her at the head of that list, making her THE defining artist.
I just so happen to think that The Sex Pistols, Nirvana (somewhat), Metallica, and Elvis Presley are boring (as do many others). That doesn't mean their music is terrible, though...

Quote:
Seriously Jack Pat, not all chart music is bad and evil.
I never said it was. I'm just not a fan of it.

Quote:
Some of it believe it or not is actually quite good.
Not to me (most of the time), but it might be to others.

Quote:
You dont have to be the only person with 500 miles to have heard of a song for it to be interesting
I never said that obscure music was interesting.

Quote:
(and when 'interesting' is the adjective used to describe a song, it generally means '****e').
It depends on who is using the word. When I describe music as "interesting" I almost never imply that it's shit.

Quote:
You can enjoy music from today, no one will judge you negatively for it, most likely people wont even care that you listen to Lady Gaga, or Justin Bieber, or whatever you decide is the one that tickles your pickle.
Honestly... I don't really care about what people think of my taste in music. If anything I get scrutinized more for what I listen to now.

Quote:
You'll occassionally find a popular song that actually describes your feelings perfectly.
I remember liking "Viva La Vida" at one point, but then the radio played it so many times that I got sick of it.

Quote:
Have you ever cried during a song?
If tearing up a bit is considered to be crying, then yes.

Quote:
Or are songs just things that need to be analysed and compared to you?
I listen to both music that moves me and that which interests me.

The point of my entire statement is that music is entirely subjective... What I may consider crap, you may consider brilliant (or vise-versa). We're pretty much wasting our time talking about this. Haha

Last edited by TockTockTock; 09-04-2011 at 09:34 PM.
TockTockTock is offline   Reply With Quote