Music Banter - View Single Post - A Nice Guy's Music Musings
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2011, 04:01 AM   #9 (permalink)
TheNiceGuy
Living under the bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
Interesting review. I often wish I could review albums that succinctly, but I tend to ramble on and run off at the mouth (or at least, the keyboard), so my reviews tend to be much longer. Often they're probably too long, but whaddya gonna do? Everyone has their own style, I guess.

Never been a fan of the Smiths. Just never been into that sort of music, but it's a good review. Just one suggestion: when I list the tracks on an album I always do them one under another, as that way you can see clearly the titles, whereas when they're in a line it may be a little hard to distinguish one from the other. Just an observation, that's all.

I'm also impressed by your contention that you need to listen to albums more than once to appreciate them. That's certainly true. I have albums here I've reviewed while listening to them for the first time, and I wonder if my opinion would change (on the ones I say I don't like) over time and repeated listenings? Thing is, I usually have just about enough time to listen to an album once, never mind several times, so unless I already know it well it may not get the review it perhaps deserves. Food for thought, indeed.

Good first effort. I'll be watching for your next review eagerly.
Keep it up!
Trollheart
Thanks! I actually rushed this review a little but to be honest it's not a huge album really so it didn't really have to be to long. As for the track listing I'll try your way for the next review to see how it turns out.

I've often found that certain albums (generally quieter, mellower ones) really don't stand out that much on first listen compared to more upfront sounding albums. Anyway I usually give at least 2 listens to an album, unless of course it's absolute bollocks when I won't bother with the 2nd listen or on the other hand if I really enjoy it then I'll probably give it a few more listens.

Edit: 100 posts!

There is no Dark Side of the Moon really, matter of fact it's all dark...

Last edited by TheNiceGuy; 09-05-2011 at 08:39 PM. Reason: Milestone moment
TheNiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote