Music Banter - View Single Post - Exuma, the debut album by Exuma
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2011, 09:12 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

I loved the sound of this album; the rough voice, the simple instrumentation, the off-beat lyrics all reminded me that very often in music, less is more. With zombies and the afterlife mentioned in almost every track, it plays like a concept album and although, as Janszoon says, the title track is probably the strongest, I found the others equally interesting. The real stand out for me is Seance in the sixth fret, with the only weak point being the last track, The Vision.

From the croak of the first frog - and how many albums can you say that about? - from the croak of the first frog, I was reminded of the classic Gris-Gris album, which is perhaps not surprising because Exuma turns out to be just one thousand miles by sea from Dr. John`s stamping ground. They were almost neighbours, dipping into the same slave-route voodoo sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
It's pretty good, but in my opinion there is much better freak folk out there from the same period. Fuchsia, Gandharva, Trees, Comus and Spirogyra back up my point.
If that`s true, Stu, why don`t you nominate something for our next poll ?
In the meantime, I`m voting excellent for this album and have already got myself the follow up album, Exuma II.
Lisnaholic is offline   Reply With Quote