Music Banter - View Single Post - The Playlist of Life --- Trollheart's resurrected Journal
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2011, 10:44 AM   #217 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

A bit of what you fancy --- Quireboys --- 1990 (EMI)

Everything about these guys screams American southern rock!, but in fact they're from the UK, Newcastle to be precise. But you'll hear no “way-aye” or any other Jimmy Nail-isms: their lead singer sounds like he was born in the Deep South, and like already-reviewed Bonfire, they do a great job of presenting themselves as a US band. The music is certainly southern rock though (well, I guess coming from Newcastle that should read northern rock!), as a casual listen to this, their debut album, will show.

It's down and dirty rock'n'roll from the off, with “7 O'Clock” introducing the album on a raucous, party-atmosphere song, great honky-tonk piano from Chris Johnstone (don't forget the “e”!) and battling guitars from “the two Guys”, Bailey and Griffin. But it's when singer Spike Gray opens his mouth that you're in no doubt this is an American band. Which it isn't.

With a southern drawl and a gravelly quality to his voice that puts you in mind of Axl Rose, he can certainly belt out the songs, and he's a guy who's come to par-tay! “Man on the loose” is another hard rocker, very much in the same vein as the opener, but then comes one of better tracks on the album, the darkly ominous “Whippin' boy”, with its harkback to slavery and Spike warning ”You mean so much to me/ But there ain't no way/ I'm gonna be no whippin' boy!” There's a great vibe to this track, with echoey guitars and dark piano; really takes you back to the days of the Civil War, and references to Dixieland leave you in no doubt that it's a song about the Deep South and the injustices practiced there for over a hundred years.

“Sex party” is a taut, political satire aimed at the excesses within the Republican … nah, just kidding. It's a song about an orgy. As such songs go, it's fun, fast and forgettable, but the next track up, “Sweet Mary Ann”, stays in the mind a lot longer. A country-tinged ballad, it's got more than a touch of classic Bon Jovi in it, and it runs along at a decent pace, sort of more a half-ballad really. The proper ballad is next, “I don't love you anymore” a heartrending realisation that the love is gone, and how hard it hits when you haven't been expecting it.

”She sat there, smokin' all my cigarettes/ At a table set for two/ I could have cried/ When she said/ I don't love you anymore/ I was slain and shown the door/ Ain't no room here anymore.” Powerful lyric helps craft this into a standout ballad, and a good contender for best track on the album. Can't help thinking that Spike sounds like the vocalist from Smokie on this one, though!

“Misled” is a great rocker, enjoyable like just about every track on this album. To be fair, there are no high concepts or intricate ideas on this recording. But what do you expect on what is basically a southern rock-flavoured album? The songs are mostly party songs --- drinkin', rockin', havin' a good time is what these guys are interested in. Great boogie piano on “Misled”, with a deceptively slow lead-in vocal by Spike. “Long time comin'” is almost the same melody, with a sort of fifties intro, built around the idea of being a toy boy: ”Been a long time comin'/ Boy she said/ Finish the job or don't get paid!” and Spike's cheeky assertation at the end ”Any old time/ Is a good time for fun/ But with a rich rich mama/ You get the money and run!”

Yeah, fun with a capital F is the heart of this album. “A bit of what you fancy” is not an album you put on to dissect the quality of the playing, or to think deep thoughts or try to figure out music's place in the scheme of things. Nah, it's an album you rack up when you want to party, or cheer up, or when you have the guys coming around for some beers, the better if they bring some ladies. It's a party album, and you just can't stop your fingers from tapping and your legs from dancing as you listen. These guys must be a blast live!

“Roses and rings” is another semi-ballad with the same sort of country edge that characterises “Sweet Mary Ann”, some nice violin or fiddle in there too. “There she goes again” is a piano boogie, and “Take me home” closes an album that really has no bad tracks. True, many are similar and not too many stand out all that much, but there's a lot to praise this album for.

It's unapologetic southern rock with an English twist, with great musicianship and a clear idea of where the band are, what they want to do and the message they want to get across. That message in particular is simple: have a good time. Listen to this album and you're guaranteed to be able to take that advice.

TRACKLISTING

1. 7 O'Clock
2. Man on the loose
3. Whippin' boy
4. Sweet Mary Ann
5. Sex party
6. I don't love you anymore
7. Hey you
8. Misled
9. Long time comin'
10. Roses and rings
11. Here she comes again