Music Banter - View Single Post - Most Influential Rock Artist Ever
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2011, 02:16 PM   #463 (permalink)
Urban Hat€monger ?
The Sexual Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necromancer View Post
I personally think that they (VU) sounded awful, and are "way" overrated. I just cant find myself to respect the band for their contribution. I don't see the musical influence and contribution that they've (supposedly) made.

Maybe I just don't "hear" it?
I don't really like them a great deal either but if you were an 80s indie band it was mandatory that you cover There She Goes Again at some point in your career.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post
The Velvet Underground fame came much later when Lou Reed`s solo career took off and the Velvet Underground were finally discovered. It could be safe to say, that if Lou Reed hadn`t become famous the Velvet Underground would probably still be a band that hardly anybody knows.
Bowie was regularly covering their songs when they were still together and they also had loads of attention in the media due to the Warhol connection. Just because they didn't sell a huge amount of records doesn't mean they weren't known about. Loads of bands get loads of press attention that never really translates into record sales, VU were one of those bands.

Urb's RYM Stuff

Most people sell their soul to the devil, but the devil sells his soul to Nick Cave.
Urban Hat€monger ? is offline   Reply With Quote