Music Banter - View Single Post - Most Influential Rock Artist Ever
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2011, 02:48 PM   #464 (permalink)
Unknown Soldier
Horribly Creative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necromancer View Post
I personally think that they (VU) sounded awful, and are "way" overrated. I just cant find myself to respect the band for their contribution. I don't see the musical influence and contribution that they've (supposedly) made.

Maybe I just don't "hear" it?
They`re certainly overrated and also sound very dated but they still laid down the schematics for lack of better word for a whole load of indie acts. As for Nico`s singing......well thats just so bad that it defies belief!!!

I own their first two albums of which I said their second is a a great album, I never listen to them though...but I suppose they give my CD collection some credibility, especially if anybody sees all my Survivor and Journey albums and then thinks oh my god!!! They can then see my two Velvet Underground albums and then think hey he`s got some taste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hatemonger View Post
I don't really like them a great deal either but if you were an 80s indie band it was mandatory that you cover There She Goes Again at some point in your career.

Bowie was regularly covering their songs when they were still together and they also had loads of attention in the media due to the Warhol connection. Just because they didn't sell a huge amount of records doesn't mean they weren't known about. Loads of bands get loads of press attention that never really translates into record sales, VU were one of those bands.
Excuse the pun but isn`t that what influential underground bands are all about.
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote