Music Banter - View Single Post - Operatic Arias
Thread: Operatic Arias
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2011, 01:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

One of my favorite arias is Jacque Offenbach's "Barcarolle" from his opera, The Tales of Hoffman.

Interestingly, this piece resulted from posthumous teamwork. Offenbach wrote the aria as the "Elves' Song" for another opera, but after he died, a fellow composer Ernest Guiraud completed the score of the unfinished Tales of Hoffman and included an excerpt from Offenbach's earlier opera. That excerpt is what we now know as "Barcarolle." The Tales of Hoffmann - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I first heard an orchestral version of "Barcarolle" when I was 18 and had acquired or made a tape of classical music that I loved. I remember lying in bed one night listening to the tape over and over, especially enjoying this song, which I felt and still feel is hauntingly beautiful.

Only later (last year) did I realize the music arose from an opera and was intended to have singers.

I feel that the following performance, which I just heard for the first time, is especially nice because the singers' voices are so luscious and mesh beautifully. The song sounds like the taste of a delicious dessert...perhaps a cream puff, eclaire, baklava, or sweet, ripe, tangy mango.

"Barcarolle" -- from Jacque Offenbach's opera, The Tales of Hoffman
Anna Netrebko (soprano) and Elina Garanca (mezzo-soprano).

The opera as a whole is loosely about appreciating and keeping your creative spirit, your muse, alive. The "Barcarolle" is about an ephemeral night of passion:

Spoiler for the lovely lyrics of "Barcarolle":

I found an English translation of the French lyrics, the subject matter of which matches the sound of the song perfectly in my opinion and therefore makes the song even more pleasurable to hear. The lyrics for Offenbach's The Tales of Hoffman appear to have been written by Julse Barbier. Jules Barbier - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Lyrics of Jacque Offenbach's "Barcarolle" (English Translation)

Time flies by, and carries away
our tender caresses forever!
Time flies far from this happy oasis
and does not return.

Burning zephyrs,
embrace us with your caresses!
Burning zephyrs,
give us your kisses!
Your kisses! Your kisses! Ah!

Lovely night, oh night of love,
smile upon our joys!
Night much sweeter than the day,
oh beautiful night of love!
Ah! Smile upon our joys!
Night of love, oh night of love!

Where can I find the English translation of "Barcarolle" by Jacques Offenbach? - Yahoo! Answers
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote