Music Banter - View Single Post - The Playlist of Life --- Trollheart's resurrected Journal
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2011, 11:03 AM   #233 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Dear oh DEAR oh dear! Who in their right mind thought this was ever a good idea? Three ladies, unknown before (and after) this, to me at any rate, covering one of the seminal classic rock songs of the seventies, and one of the greatest and most recognisable songs ever. Taking on Blue Oyster Cult's opus “Don't fear the Reaper” would be a big enough task on its own, but when the Alice Band tried to make it all smoulderingly sexy and dangerous ---- yeah, just didn't work.

First, there's the total absence of the signature opening guitar riff. When that's missing, you know things aren't going to go well. Then there's the style it's sung in, sort of cross between pop and folk, with a bit of country thrown in. Drumming that sounds weak and machine-created, a lazy vocal which almost works, weak backing vocals, no guitar solo in the middle … ah, I could go on! But instead, I'll let you decide. Here are the two versions side by side, original first.