Music Banter - View Single Post - Metal Wars!!!!!!!!!!!
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2011, 05:11 AM   #333 (permalink)
Janszoon
Mate, Spawn & Die

Not surprisingly this is a tough one for me. I picked these two albums because I think they're both fantastic. I also find them interesting because they're such different takes on the idea of experimental metal. Not only do they sound completely different from each other but the two bands are coming at this from very different points of origin. Gorguts, as most of you probably know, started off playing more conventional death metal and eventually veered into experimentalism. Shining, on the other hand, started off as a a straight-up free jazz band—saxophone, flute, upright bass, the whole works—and slowly evolved into the metal-ish style heard on here. In many way Blackjazz is one of their least experimental albums.

All of that said, I think I'm going to vote Shining. There's something about the sleekness of this album that I just love, maybe because it's such a rare quality for experimental music. It also always impresses me that Blackjazz, as quirky and off-kilter as it is, manages to be surprisingly hook filled.

Gorguts - 1
Shining - 2
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote