Music Banter - View Single Post - Duran Duran (wooo!)
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2011, 09:05 PM   #33 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necromancer View Post
Duran Duran brings back that 80s era, vibe and mood associated with their music for me.

I always liked the funk bassline aspect to their music, and others from the 80s New Wave and Pop era as well.
Duran Duran definitely takes me back, too, but I realize now that I didn't really like much of their music and was more caught up in their popularity and cuteness. They were the only band where I felt the beginnings of teenage adulation. It didn't last long.

What sticks in my mind about Duran Duran is that often their songs seemed to be about shallow topics. "Girls on film," "Wild boys, wild boys, wild boys," "Hungry like a wolf" all irritated me when I was a teen because of the simple, narrowly focused subject matter. I'll try listening to the bassline in their music to appeciate it more.

I did like a few songs. I liked "Rio" for the sound of it and for one poetic line: "Just like that river twisting through the dusty land."

I also like the feeling of aloneness in their song "Save a Prayer." I hadn't watched the video before today. I was pleased with it: it isn't glitzy and stupid like many of their videos seem to be. It felt more like an honest documentary of someone's life...presumably her day after the one night stand...and seemed very personal, for example by showing her feet sinking into the sand and the way she felt the bark of a tree. I hadn't expected to see this sensitivity in a Duran Duran video.

I've listened to portions of around ten of their newer songs. None have snagged my interest enough to make it through a whole song.

Duran Duran - "Save a Prayer"

If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote