Music Banter - View Single Post - Pick a Classic, Rank its Covers
View Single Post
Old 09-18-2011, 01:13 PM   #28 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

A lot of really good songs and some amusing reviews in this thread. Well done, MBers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGANGELICA View Post
Crimson and Clover
But when I paid more attention to the song, I thought that it's interesting to hear a woman singing it, since the song is about being in love with a woman. I'm glad they didn't change the lyrics to try to make the song hetero.
If they did, the song would have to go: I think I could love him, Crimson and clovhim.

--------------------

I`d like to share a song that almost everybody knows - an evocation of adolescent romance from a more innocent age, called Do You Wanna Dance

In the case of this song, some of the covers are better known than the original, so I`m going to start with them, in reverse order of merit :

No.8 By Walter Beasley (1998), who gives it the Kenny G treatment. Not worth posting a link to this !

No.7 By Cliff Richard (1962). A very mundane pop version that doesn`t hold any real interest either.

No.6 By Marc Bolan (1975). He gamely rides it out over some hammy background vocals and seems to be treating the song as a joke:-

No.5 By The Ramones (1977). They run through this so fast, that the speed is the most exhilarating thing about it. I liked dismissive vocal delivery, but the rather sweet lyrics don`t really match the Ramones` style, or their reputation as punk rockers:-

No.4 By Del Shannon(1964). A spirited, sincere-sounding version with a surprising change of register from our man, Del:-

No.3 By the Mamas and The Papas (1966). This starts out so well, with an exquisite voice and slow pace that wrings out every drop of sentiment from the lyrics.The voices rise up and cut through a rather saccharine backing of strings, but unfortunately,as the song progresses, the saccharine slowly triumphs :-

No.2 By John Lennon (1975). Lots going on musically in this version, which showcases the biting voice of John, who has changed the song into a loping, slow reggae number:-

No.1 By The Beach Boys (1965) The song is so appropriate for The Beach Boys, and was such a hit for them, that for years I assumed it was one of Brian Wilson`s own songs. I suspect that after it was released, this was the version that other artists covered, rather than the original. That`s why I`m putting it at number one - and also for the glorious moment at 0:27 when the chorus slams in :-

Saving the best for last, here is the original, recorded in 1958 by Bobby Freeman with its brief, but unequalled, guitar break. What`s surprising, though, is that the song`s real hook, the repetition of " Do ya, do ya, do ya...." is only squeezed in at one place, just before the song closes. It`s as if Bobby Freeman didn`t realise the value of the unforgetable gem he had just written :-

Last edited by Lisnaholic; 09-18-2011 at 09:28 PM. Reason: added some dates
Lisnaholic is offline   Reply With Quote