Music Banter - View Single Post - Unpopular Music Opinions
View Single Post
Old 09-21-2011, 09:48 AM   #6940 (permalink)
sopsych
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post
I guess you`re including Jefferson with that as well. Apart from Mickey Thomas they had some great vocalists which included Marty Balin, David Freiberg and of course Grace Slick. Not sure I`d put Mickey Thomas above any of those, but he is very good.

The problem with both Jefferson Starship/Starship was that you had a band with great vocalists and great musicians, who were sadly just contented to dish out a bland commercial rock sound because it was guaranteed to sell albums. It was a shame really considering just how creatively brilliant their parent group Jefferson Airplane had been. The only albums on any note were Dragonfly and Knee Deep in the Hoopla (which I know was as commercial as hell) but it had a lot of great stuff on it and was certainly Mickey Thomas`s best.
Yes, I was including the earlier versions of the band, and I agree the focus was too commercial at times. I don't know who David Freiberg is (or was), but I definitely put Thomas above the other two vocally. I don't think Grace Slick's voice is particularly good. She's overrated for her persona.
sopsych is offline   Reply With Quote