Music Banter - View Single Post - THE Band appreciation thread
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2011, 04:02 AM   #2 (permalink)
Unknown Soldier
Horribly Creative

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastingas10 View Post
Not really sure where this thread belongs, considering the wide variety of music The Band has made. In my opinion, one of the greatest bands of all time. And as famous as they are, I still think they are underrated. I cant think of many bands, if any, that consisted of members who were so capable of playing such a multitude of instruments. I think Robbie Roberts is an underrated guitarist and even more underrated as a lyricist. The last waltz is one of the greatest concerts of all time. The Band has influenced numerous bands, songwriters, and performers, from the Grateful Dead and The Beatles to Eric Clapton, Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young, Led Zeppelin, and Elvis Costello. The album Music from Big Pink, in particular, is credited with contributing to Clapton's decision to leave the super group Cream. In his introduction of The Band during the Bob Dylan 30th Anniversary Concert, Clapton announced that in 1968 he'd heard the album, "and it changed my life". The Band's debut also influenced the spirit of The Beatles' back-to-basics album Let It Be as well as The Rolling Stones' string of roots-infused albums that began with Beggars Banquet. They have been covered by artists such as Aretha Franklin, The Black Crowes and Widespread Panic and many more.
Unlike grunge you really seem to know The Band very well. Definitely one of the most influential bands of their era who are underrated in that they hardly ever get mentioned these days. I`ve mentioned them a couple of times on here but its usually fallen on deaf ears. The albums Music From Big Pink and The Band are their two seminal releases and Robbie Robertson held it altogether. The rest of the band were top notch musicians as well and the Band in hindsight are without doubt one of the best bands to have ever come out of the late 60s.
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote