Music Banter - View Single Post - THE Band appreciation thread
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2011, 04:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
blastingas10
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post
Unlike grunge you really seem to know The Band very well. Definitely one of the most influential bands of their era who are underrated in that they hardly ever get mentioned these days. I`ve mentioned them a couple of times on here but its usually fallen on deaf ears. The albums Music From Big Pink and The Band are their two seminal releases and Robbie Robertson held it altogether. The rest of the band were top notch musicians as well and the Band in hindsight are without doubt one of the best bands to have ever come out of the late 60s.
haha Why do you say that? Grunge is great. Alice in chains was my favorite band ever for a long time, Still are one of my favorites. The Band is one of my favorite bands. I think they are one of the greatest bands ever, definitely one of the greatest of the 60s. It doesnt look like they are very popular around here. Being one of the few young people who like them, I think the youth doesnt like them very much because their music isnt loud enough or flashy enough for them.

Every member was such a talented musician. I dont think any band consists of such talented multi-instrumentalists.

Rick Danko could sing, play bass, double bass, fiddle, guitar, mandolin, accordion, trombone, piano, banjo, and cello.

Levon helm had a great voice. Hes one of my favorite singers. He could also play drums, mandolin, guitar, bass, harmonica and banjo.

Garth Hudson was probably the most talented member. He joined the band on one condition, only if they called him their music teacher because his parents would be upset that all his years of music education were being wasted in a rock band. In 1970, Time magazine named him the most brilliant organist in the music world. Elton John even cited him as an influence. He played Organ, piano, keyboards, accordion, synthesizers, saxophone, flute, mellotron, harmonium, pedalboard, slide trumpet, piccolo, bass, drums, cello and violin. What a talent he was!

Richard manuel was a singer and he was very good at the piano. He also played drums, keyboard, lap slide guitar, harmonica, clavinet, marimba and conga.

And of course Robbie Robertson. He was a great guitarist, his style on the electric guitar was so unique. He was a good classical guitarists as well and a great songwriter. He was The Bands primary songwriter.
blastingas10 is offline   Reply With Quote