Music Banter - View Single Post - Bob Dylan
Thread: Bob Dylan
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2011, 08:02 PM   #276 (permalink)
Howard the Duck
Live by the Sword

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ska Lagos Jew Sun Ra View Post
A) Everything Dylan did was folk norm. The lyrics, the sound was pioneered by people like Woody Guthrie(Who was inspired by the songbook of countless unheard of songwriters in America since the 1800s.). Dylan did NOTHING that hasn't been done ten thousand times over.

B) Yes, sixties were the time when protest was a trend. So, all of the protester sing-songwriters before him could be considered having a tougher gig.

C) Anything he has explored beyond generic folk and rock probably can be attributed later in his career after his spotlight, and yes, when you have enough money to hire any producer, and musicians you can pull off any type of music, you don't even have to write it.

D) His lyrics continually use "Sky Die Lie" rhyme schemes. He writes songs about getting stoned, and hating Vietnam at the time where any two bit hack could wow people with such content.

E) I don't care who he influenced. If you ignore the massive folk tradition that influenced every aspect of him, you don't realize how dispensable he is.

He was a poppy trend that fed people the opinions they wanted, without an iota of subtlety, the way that was in the fashion at the time. Not a revolutionary in any regard.
i don't think anybody will aver to the fact that he is a total original, he said himself all his melodies are "borrowed" from other songs, and you can hear this even in his latest material

it's just he stamped his own trademark over whatever melodies he "borrowed" and that's good anough

lots of people can imitate, but none can make what they imitate their own sound

Malaise is THE dominant human predilection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Virgin View Post
what? i don't understand you. farming is for vegetables, not for meat. if ou disagree with a farming practice, you disagree on a vegetable. unless you have a different definition of farming.
Howard the Duck is offline   Reply With Quote