Music Banter - View Single Post - The Playlist of Life --- Trollheart's resurrected Journal
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2011, 09:08 AM   #305 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Default "May God be between you and all harm, in all the dark places in which you must walk"

An ancient Egyptian blessing, and I'll certainly need it!
Taking a very small leaf out of Jackhammer's book, I've decided to try to experience music other than that with which I'm familiar, not necessarily to get into it, as I pretty much know it won't suit me, but just to have a more informed opinion when people ask me why I don't like it.

Seems odd, perhaps? Well maybe, but at least I won't be speaking out of ignorance when I say how I don't like this or that sort of music. I suppose there could be a shock conversion, it's always possible: where is the road to Damascus, anyway?

This new section I will be titling Stranger in a strange land, but it won't be starting up for a while, as I have to immerse myself in the first of the styles I normally wouldn't touch with a ten-foot bargepole --- I don't even own a barge --- and this will be (ugh)... Boybands!

Yes, I'm going to take the plunge and see what is so attractive, apparently, about the music of bands like Blue, Boyzone, Westlife, Five and their ilk. Of course, I'm fully aware that probably about eighty percent of the attraction is the pretty boys, but is that all there is to it, or is there any decent or semi-decent music lurking in there? Or is it, as I expect, nothing but empty, soulless drivel designed to make money for the record label and sell concert tickets?

If you have the stomach for it, join me when Stranger in a strange land premiers in a few weeks' time, but be warned: it ain't gonna be an easy ride!

I'm off to make out my will now, just in case...