Music Banter - View Single Post - Astrophysics
Thread: Astrophysics
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2011, 09:52 AM   #7 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaltezon View Post
Post information about any aspect of the observed physical universe that interests you, or comment on what someone else has posted.
I hope you include flowers as part of the observed physical universe, because my interest in the perception of electromagnetic radiation actually began with them.

If we zoom in closely on our Milky Way galaxy, to our Solar System, to our Earth, then we come to many flowers, each like a little black hole, absorbing ultraviolet light to create interesting patterns that only creatures with vision in the ultraviolet part of the spectrum can see.

I was excited when I first learned long ago of this great example of other animals' ability to do and perceive things that we humans cannot.

Observe the two pictures below showing Oenothera biennis L. The flower in visible light just looks bland yellow to us. Yet under ultraviolet light, a striking center spot with radiating lines appears, presumably helping pollinators home in on the important nectar and pollen in the middle of the blossom and helping the plant ward off flower predators (http://www.news.cornell.edu/releases...owers.hrs.html).

Ultraviolet Flowers: Oenothera biennis

Oenothera biennis L. flower in visible light:

. . . . . . . .

Oenothera biennis L. flower in ultraviolet light, showing patterns that a bee would perceive. No one...except the bee ...knows what internal color or mental image a bee perceives when it views the flower.

If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"

Last edited by VEGANGELICA; 09-28-2011 at 10:12 AM.
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote