Music Banter - View Single Post - The Playlist of Life --- Trollheart's resurrected Journal
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2011, 10:57 AM   #312 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Let's take a look at some more tracks that start albums off well. Always important, I feel, to grab the listener's attention from the first moments.

That's certainly true of the first of today's selections! I know I've touched on it before, but really, is there a more powerful opening track on any album? Title track to Meat Loaf's mega-successful “Bat out of Hell”.

You truly never know what you're going to get with Tom Waits, but without question the oddest, and I guess in that sense the most effective opener to one of his albums has to be “Blue valentine”, with his brilliantly croaked rendition of “Somewhere”, from “West Side Story”. Is this man class or what?

A powerful opener to Journey's “Frontiers”, this is “Separate ways (worlds apart)”.

A great song that opens a great album, the title track to “Spanish train” by Chris de Burgh.

And to finish up, the opening track from what was, essentially, the last really great Genesis album, “And then there were three”, this is “Down and out”.