Music Banter - View Single Post - There's More to Life Than Music You Know. But Not Much More.
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2011, 07:21 PM   #22 (permalink)
Badlittlekitten
And then there was music

My Female 100 Part 2

Betty Davis - They Say I'm Different (1974)
Femme funk, which can be as wild and sexy as its scrotum swinging twin. They Say I'm Different is dragged from the same murk as There's A Riot Goin' On, and like that LP its a messy masterpiece with the odd trace of coke.

Kathryn Williams - Little Black Numbers (2000)
Bittersweet British folk-pop with fruity upright bass and brass.

"There's not enough time
For one man in one life
Just a flicker and then a breeze
Breeeeeeeeze, breeeeeeeeeeze".

Put on 'Flicker' to see me weep. And yes, I do prefer this to Mr. Drake.

Micachu - Jewellery (2009)
Effortless mash up of indie, grime, skiffle, riot girrrl, dance and lo-fi noise. All performed with a naive sense of fun and mischief.

M.I.A. - Arular (2005)
The original hipster.

But fuck me, what a bunch of electro fun.

Kate Bush - Hounds of Love (1985)
She's never hit the spot for me personally , but I can dig any commercial artist that dips their toes into experimentalism whilst being generous enough to their widestream audience to provide pop with depth.

Your wife's favourite.

Young Marble Giants - Colossal Youth (1980)
Slightly haunting skeletal indie pop. Twee started round about here.

Madonna - The Immaculate Collection (1990 Comp)
The best of 80's Madge = the best of pop. Did some review here

Missy Elliott - Respect M.E.: The Best of Missy Elliott (2006 Comp)
Could have chosen one of her LPs but where else can you get 'Work It', 'Get Ur Freak On' and 'The Rain' in one bouncy, jiggly, sexy package?

Camera Obscura - Let's Get Out of This Country (2006)
Regretfully I can't include Underachievers Please Try Harder, which is the peek of twee IMO, as there's a couple of bloke vocals from the groups resident penises. LGOOTC is no bad substitute though. A gushing tribute to 60's baroque.

Camera Obscura - My Maudlin Career (2009)
Scattered throughout My Maudlin Career are worrying signs that this is a band running out of ideas, in the odd rhythm, melody or structural detail that borrows heavily off tracks from albums previous. I also miss Kenny McKeeve's longing, yet beatific spidery guitar that coloured they're first two LPs. But it don't matter diddly cos of Tracyanne innit. She seems to have acquired some country twang and another way to melt my heart.

One day I'm gonna wax epic about this group and how they make me feel but i'll leave it for a day I can express it better.

As she sung herself. . .

The singer in the band made me want to cry.

https://soundcloud.com/bad-little-kittens
My Top 100 LPs
My Top 52 Indie Tracks Of The 21st Century (incomplete)
Badlittlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote