Music Banter - View Single Post - Albums You're Digging II
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2011, 09:55 PM   #7334 (permalink)
SATCHMO
Al Dente

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanwllCorfe View Post
Achh. That's a tough one. If I found someone that reminded me of Arms & Sleepers, I'd be one hell of a happy man. It's so tough. A lot of their material seems to be influenced by Jazz, which is pretty easy to spot in Black Paris 86, and even more so on their latest offering (A Man, A Plan, A Canal: Panama). But then there's the downtempo/Ambient side to them, combined with genres that you'd mentioned in your earlier post. There's artists who may be similar, but only in one or two facets. The American Dollar and The Echelon Effect are two that come to mind, but they're both Post Rock combined with elements of Ambient (much like Hammock). Although their sound is more cinematic and dramatic than Arms & Sleepers' is.

So, with that said, there is a few that at least make me feel the same way. Those being Flica, The Abbasi Brothers, Burial (to some extent anyway), as well as Shlohmo (his softer material). Hopefully someone else will be able to chime in, but that's unfortunately all I got!

EDIT: Maybe even Four Tet? Damn. I wish I had more stuff like this.
Yeah, I really have a strong leaning toward the post-rock/ambient facet of there music. good call on recommending Burial in that he's the one that I always refer to in exemplifying the textural element in electronica that I always seem to be chasing after. Some artist that I've gotten into lately that come close are Helios, Lights Out Asia, and definitely Loscil, who've completely won me over, but tend to be a little too ambient for what I'm looking for.
SATCHMO is offline   Reply With Quote