Music Banter - View Single Post - Circumcision
Thread: Circumcision
View Single Post
Old 09-30-2011, 09:37 PM   #23 (permalink)
Thom Yorke
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVCA View Post
What? Could you explain more fully here? Which STDs? What do you mean by "manifest themselves"?
Circumcision prevents the growth under the foreskin of the agents that cause sexually-transmitted diseases.

Quote:
Or they could have avoided the STD by practicing safer sex and better hygiene.
Not everyone is privy to proper personal hygeine, let alone sexual health. It's not just a matter of "we have access to showers".

Quote:
And look at it this way: you face a 1% chance of dying from a motor vehicle accident during your lifetime (source); does that mean you should completely avoid driving, just to be safe? According to your logic, it does.
It's not realistic to go through your whole life avoiding driving for most people, and many people are willing to take that risk. For most people, leading an even somewhat fulfilling life without access to transportation would be impossible. A circumcision is an extremely low-risk, routine procedure that causes no negative side effects from a medical standpoint. If you are morally opposed to having your child circumcised that's fine; I'm arguing this purely relating to health risks. Even the most modest research shows there is an increased risk of medical problems in uncircumcised children.

Quote:
And further, Vegangelica didn't "pull statistics" from random internet sites; she used a number of very reputable organizations to support her data, including the American Academy of Pediatrics and the International AIDS Society
I never accused her of that. These are hardly facts though. No matter how well research is conducted there are always biases involved, whether it be sample size, what type of people were researched, or something else. Different studies will show different results. Even if we knew the true number, and it was almost negligible, it's still something. I look at it from the point of, "Why not?"

Last edited by Thom Yorke; 09-30-2011 at 09:47 PM.
Thom Yorke is offline   Reply With Quote