Music Banter - View Single Post - 50 Indie/Alternative Albums You Should Listen To
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2011, 02:27 PM   #23 (permalink)
Zer0

The Blue Nile - Hats (1989)

The Blue Nile rarely release an album and when they do they don’t contain many songs. They are perfectionists of the highest order but when they do release an album it is simply magical. This, their second album, was released six years after their excellent debut A Walk Across The Rooftops, however I feel that Hats is their greatest moment and has since become one of my most cherished albums. The whole mood and feel of this album suggests night-time, perhaps walking the rainy streets late at night, surrounded by neon lights and various other sights and sounds, walking to meet a loved one, or perhaps just walking the streets at night thinking about a lost love. There is a great sense of melancholy that runs throughout the seven tracks here that is overwhelming and very moving, this is mostly due to frontman Paul Buchanan’s soulful and plaintive voice which carries every song, especially songs like ‘Let’s Go Out Tonight’ and ‘Headlights On The Parade’. The music is mostly synthesizer-based but this album has absolutely none of the coldness that is often associated with synths, the music mostly serves as a backing for Paul’s soulful and melancholic voice and when combined together create one of the warmest and most memorable albums you will hear.

Every song on this album is incredible and with only seven songs the album is filler-free, more focused and the songs are allowed to breathe and have more purpose. The album flows brilliantly from start to finish and proves that this is not about individual songs, but about the album as a whole.

Recommended Songs: ‘The Downtown Lights’, ‘Let’s Go Out Tonight’, ‘Headlights On The Parade’

Camera Obscura - Let's Get Out Of This Country (2006)

Let’s Get Out Of This Country marked a significant change in Camera Obscura’s sound. Gone were the shy and awkward yet charming twee sensibilities on their previous two albums Biggest Bluest Hi-Fi and Underachievers Please Try Harder and in its place was a bigger, bolder and more confident indie pop sound heavily in debt to the thrills and melancholy of 60’s pop. The key lies in Tracyanne Campbell’s transformation into a frontwoman more confident with her voice and with her songwriting. Some songs here have a brighter-sounding and more pop feel to them, especially the excellent singles ‘Lloyd, I’m Ready To Be Heartbroken’ and ‘Let’s Get Out Of This Country’, both showing the band’s newfound confidence. On other songs such as ‘Tears For Affairs’ and ‘Come Back Margaret’ the band show their 60’s pop influences on their sleeves. There is however a sense of sadness and melancholy that runs throughout the album, mainly due to Tracyanne’s own personal struggles and losses. Just have a listen to ‘Dory Previn’ and ‘Country Mile’ and try not to feel the slightest bit emotional. But it is this kind of emotional expression that creates a bond with the listener and gives the listener some comfort in knowing that they’re not the only ones feeling down from time to time. The album ends with a glimmer of hope though, with the magnificently uplifting ‘Razzle Dazzle Rose’ warming your heart and giving you the encouragement you need.

The album elevated the band’s cult popularity around the world and the 2009 follow-up album My Maudlin Career would elevate their popularity further as well as evolve their sound further. But Let’s Get Out Of This Country is a great starting point to exploring the band’s wonderful music and it’s an album that greatly rewards you with repeated listens.

Recommended Songs: ‘Lloyd, I’m Ready To Be Heartbroken’, ‘Let’s Get Out Of This Country’, ‘Razzle Dazzle Rose’