Music Banter - View Single Post - The Classical Music Recommendation Thread
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2011, 04:12 AM   #87 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cp_19 View Post
Hey everyone..
I was wondering if anyone could give me the names of any violin concertos that are fast paced and sortta intense sounding. THX for the help!
I recently heard a fast-paced and sorta intense-sounding violin concerto and wondered where I should post about it...only to learn that MUSICBANTER HAS NO THREAD DEDICATED TO VIOLIN CONCERTOS!! ...except for the one cp_19 started before it got merged with the "recommendation" thread. And cp_19's thread wasn't even about concertos! It was about "concerto's."

I offer up this violin concerto as an example of a fast-paced, intense-sounding one:

Khachaturian's Violin Concerto in D minor
Movement 3. Allegro vivace
David Oistrakh, violinist, and the Philharmonia Orchestra, 1954.

I like the occasional dissonances in this vivacious movement, which has been described as witty. The movement sometimes is too playful, frenetic, and repetitive for my tastes, but those dissonances in the orchestra and the violinist's virtuosity make me enjoy listening to it. The best parts, I feel, are when the music sounds as if it is lashing out. The movement combines light-heartedness with somber melancholia, turbulence and violence, an interesting combination.

If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"

Last edited by VEGANGELICA; 10-04-2011 at 11:27 AM.
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote