Music Banter - View Single Post - The Playlist of Life --- Trollheart's resurrected Journal
View Single Post
Old 10-05-2011, 08:13 AM   #337 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Well, if you're going to cover a song, at least make sure your version stands out from the original! That was certainly the case when Ken Boothe covered the big Bread hit “Everything I own”, and scored a huge hit with it in 1974. Rearranging the love song for a reggae beat and speeding it up slightly, and also adjusting the lyric to "anything I own" rather than "everything" --- for what reason I don't know --- Boothe's version actually outperformed Bread's original by getting to the number one slot, whereas the original had only made it just below the top thirty when released two years previous. Boothe also managed, through the reggae treatment, to introduce the song to the Caribbean and West Indies music scene, where it was played regularly on the radio there.

I personally don't think he did a bad job with it (certainly better than Boy George, who essentially just copied his version, speeding it up a little), but I'm a Gates fan and I prefer the original, with its wistful, melancholy and bittersweet tale of love lost and regret for things passed. At any rate, here as usual are the two versions, so you can decide which sounds better to you.

Oh, and yes, I do realise that the previous “Run for cover” also featured a David Gates/Bread composition: pure coincidence, I assure you...