Music Banter - View Single Post - What's The Latest Film You Have Seen?
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2011, 07:46 AM   #10639 (permalink)
Guybrush
Juicious Maximus III

Hosted a double feature yesterday

First we watched La Maschera Del Demonio, also known as Mask of Satan or Black Sunday.

Supposedly, it is one of Tim Burton's favourites. It's about a witch and her undead helpers coming back from the dead to terrorize the family who put them in the grave to start with. The movie was pretty good, definetly entertaining with great sets and atmosphere. It was also pretty morbid for a movie from 1960 with some gross special FX and you can definetly see the heritage from this to later movies like those by Lucio Fulci who must have been very inspired when watching stuff like this (it's definetly an eye popper). It never quite managed to scare me, but I'd still recommend it to all who like horror, particularly those who enjoy italian flavours. I reckon Lee might like this if he hasn't seen it yet.

Then we saw House on Haunted Hill from 1959

Which of course is a campy classic The story is remarkably similar to that from The Haunting which is more famous and came out a few years later. Vincent Price plays an eccentric millionaire who invites a group of people to a ghost party in a haunted house he has rented. Each guest gets 10 000 dollars if they can last the night and of course all sorts of spooky stuff happens. The movie gets a bit silly occasionally, but that's alright because it doesn't feel like it takes itself too seriously. Unlike Mask of Satan, it actually had a scene which made the wife jump quite a bit so it manages to be spooky now and then too. The best thing about it was definetly Vincent Price's role.

Recommended to fans of old horror films or ghost mysteries

Last edited by Guybrush; 10-09-2011 at 08:59 AM.
Guybrush is offline   Reply With Quote