Music Banter - View Single Post - Rush- Moving Pictures- 1981
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2011, 10:43 AM   #6 (permalink)
Janszoon
Mate, Spawn & Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMR View Post
Post Script:
I recently found myself in a music conversation at a wedding. The guy I was chatting with was knocking Rush, and his wife commented that she wasn’t even familiar with Rush. He cited “Tom Sawyer” as an example, which he described negatively as typical 80’s rock. Trying to keep a tone of politeness, I asked him what bands he liked, to which he responded Metallica, and he cited his favorite album as “Master of Puppets” (a great album by the way).

Bringing the conversation back to Rush and “Tom Sawyer,” I asked him what he thought of the guitar parts in “Tom Sawyer,” and he responded that he had never noticed them. I then asked him what he thought of the song “Sanitarium” off “Master of Puppets.” Of course he responded that he loved the song. I then had to break the news to him that the main guitar riff from “Sanitarium” is the same riff made famous by Rush on “Tom Sawyer”. It got a chuckle from his wife, but I don’t think he believed me, and that was about it for the conversation. Most Rush fans already know that piece of trivia, but if you didn’t, check it out. Metallica even thanks Rush for the riff in the liner notes of “Puppets”. The riff starts at 11- seconds in Tom Sawyer, and at 4:06 in “Sanitarium,” and it’s awesome to hear Hammett put his thrash touch on the already amazing riff.
Heh. I never knew that. I just gave a listen to both songs though and I definitely hear what you're talking about. Very interesting!

As far as the album goes: great review! Overall, I like Moving Pictures though I'm definitely not as enamored of it as you are. Like most Rush albums for me, it's a little hit-or-miss. Side one is absolutely perfect, but side two really pales in comparison. "The Camera Eye" and "Vital Signs" are good but not up to the level of any of the songs on the first side and "Witch Hunt" definitely counts as a miss for me.
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote