Music Banter - View Single Post - Slayer
Thread: Slayer
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2011, 07:35 PM   #192 (permalink)
jackhammer
Ba and Be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BastardofYoung View Post
My favorite album as well.

The production is amazing.. I like RiB, but I do not like the way it is produced at times, one thing I hate about pretty much everything Rick Rubin touches is the fact he doesn't use reverb in the mix.

I won't lie, I think Rick Rubin is not that great, I know some people like to treat him like a god or what not, but I find his production with metal to sound kinda sterile. He is better suited to guys like Johnny Cash or Neil Diamond, they stuff he did with those guys was great, but most of his rap and metal stuff I find that they are nothing special production wise.
Really? I think some of his production work especially with Slayer is nothing short of superb. To get a sound from a band that is both heavy and clean was nothing short of miraculous. There is no doubt in my mind that Slayer would have been lost in the multitude of Thrash bands in the 80's that may have deserved a wider audience but never got it.

If you watch Slayer live their sound is not reverb heavy at all and has always been clean and economical.

I certainly don't think that everything Rubin touches turns to gold at all but he was 23 at the time of Reign In Blood and admitted (and still does) that he is not a technically savvy producer at all and he has limited expertise in the studio but he has an excellent ear for music and strips away anything superfluous. That's why I don't like Hell Awaits, apart from the title track the rest of the album is so non descript for me.

“A cynic by experience, a romantic by inclination and now a hero by necessity.”
jackhammer is offline   Reply With Quote