Music Banter - View Single Post - What's The Latest Film You Have Seen?
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2011, 04:38 AM   #10665 (permalink)
Howard the Duck
Live by the Sword

not exactly the "masterpiece of Cold War paranoia" I was promised, but still a genuinely good thriller, almost Hitchcock-ian. Granted the villains are hokey and stereotypical, there is a sense of ominous dread and helplessness as the main protagonists cannot control their minds. It sags in the middle a bit but the climax is still the best I've seen. And the remake has got nothing on this, completely ignoring the complex layers of plot and subtext. And pretty awesome performances by Sinatra, Laurence Harvey and Angela Lansbury. Definitely one of the best Cold war films around. 9/10

pure rubbish but still enjoyable on the level of mindless popcorn fare. I remember the comics Jonah Hex being much uglier. Rather than using the normal scaled-down heroes and villains of most Westerns, this one goes macro and goes on a National "save the Union from the Confederates level", which I find crappy. The action is still well-directed, although the weapons are way too "modern" for a Western. Still rip-roaring, though. 5.5/10

Malaise is THE dominant human predilection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Virgin View Post
what? i don't understand you. farming is for vegetables, not for meat. if ou disagree with a farming practice, you disagree on a vegetable. unless you have a different definition of farming.
Howard the Duck is offline   Reply With Quote