Music Banter - View Single Post - Nirvana Nevermind Remastered
View Single Post
Old 10-17-2011, 07:25 AM   #2 (permalink)
RMR
Front to Back

Mighty Salami--

Thanks for the write-up. I just reviewed "Nevermind" on this site as well. In terms of the re-master, I personally don't see any value in it. Some records are better off being raw, than being glossy. As an example of this, I've been hunting for an original used copy of the Rolling Stones' "Exlie" on vinyl for a while, but everything I can find is remastered (even in vinyl format). What made that album legendary was its rawness. I do want to make it clear that I'm not comparing "Exile" to "Nevermind" in terms of music. They are not even on the same rating system, but I do think there is some value in the rawness of "Nevermind."

I'm not a huge Nirvana fan either, but I will defend them a bit. A prominent metal radio and TV show host recently called Nirvana "the most overrated band ever" on twitter, and as a music fan, I hear this quite a bit, but people often fail to explain what they mean by overrated. I don't think I've ever heard (even from die-hard Nirvana fans) that they were the best group of musicians ever, but they did bring that style of music (grunge or whatever you want to call it) to the mainstream, and because they brought it to the mainstream, they changed the type of popular music in the 90's, and that's impressive... whether you like the band or not. For me, I can enjoy a little Nirvana when it's playing, but it's completely forgettable once it's off. I scored the original release 7 out of 10, and I stand behind that rating, but if it weren't for the impact that Nirvana had on mainstream music in the 90's, I would have scored the album much lower.

Again, I'm not on any kind of death march to defend Nirvana, as they are not even on my list of favorite bands, but I think people need to recognize that they did make an impact.

Lastly, I'm with you-- I have no interest in the remasters.