Music Banter - View Single Post - The Official Led Zeppelin Thread
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2011, 03:47 PM   #309 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post
The problem you`ve got is that about a million people have already told you just how great and brilliant this band actually is, meaning that you`re going to look for the faults in their music. Because they were so popular they have been exposed to death, had they been some long forgotten and unknown band then you`d find them a lot easier to like.

I think if you really want to get into Led Zeppelin start and really absorb the first album, its an absolute classic, but most importantly you have to listen to the band in the context of their era the late 60s to the mid 70s, by and large both music wise and stage wise, they were blasting most of the competition out of the water. To really appreciate how great they were you really need to line them up against the other hard rock bands of that era.
I agree that in order to appreciate Led Zeppelin fully I should learn enough to put their music into its historical context. I am judging the music purely by comparing it to what I like to listen to NOW, regardless of the band's role in history. Led Zeppelin's music just doesn't move me much.

I've heard "Good Times, Bad Times" off their first album, of course, but I listened through the rest of "Led Zeppelin" to make sure I'd heard all the songs off the album ...

Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin [Full Album] - YouTube

... and honestly, Unknown Soldier, there are just quite a few qualities of their music that I don't like.

I don't like long guitar solos in any song (example: Buckethead is torture to me), and their songs often have them. I don't like the vocals that frequently rise up to a shrieking - they often sound the same from one song to the next, and I don't like the shrieking. Finally, I don't like the Blues very much, which I think gives the slow, lumphing-along mournful feeling to some of their songs. I get bored listening to the music.

I don't think I dislike much of Led Zeppelin's music because they are famous. I think I dislike the music because I dislike the music!

P.S. They also use a lot of organ in this album and I just don't like much organ music, especially not in rock songs.
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"

Last edited by VEGANGELICA; 10-21-2011 at 03:56 PM.
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote