Music Banter - View Single Post - There's More to Life Than Music You Know. But Not Much More.
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2011, 04:43 PM   #25 (permalink)
Badlittlekitten
And then there was music

My Female 100 Pt.3

Antena - Camino del Sol (1982)

Delicous electro-lounge with chanteuse vocals and odd echos of Young Marble Giants. If you're interested in this, then make sure to get this extended version of the original LP.

Astrud Gilberto - The Astrud Gilberto Album (1965)

Side one of this thing is the sweetest sugar bossa-nova 60s pop I can imagine existing.
The gorgeous album sleeve makes up for the occasionally plodding second side.

Joni Mitchell - Blue (1971)

Of all the records on this list, this is the one I'm most bemused by not making the top RYM 100. Not only is it stupendously great, it's also kinda middlebrow with potential huge appeal.

Morena y Clara - Morena y Clara (1976)

Spanish flamenco pop babes with acid-fuzz vibes. Oddly trippy, slightly sinister and endlessly funky. The songs are sung in unison and neither singer dares stray into a harmony and all the tracks sound the same and have bits that go "naa na na na na noii na na", and it's definitely better than Bob Dylan.

Cat Power - Moon Pix (1998)

The sound of someone at the very edge of their nerves. It's a beautiful, brittle sound, painted by barely tuned open guitar strings, percussion that comes and goes like a quite storm and a voice too distraught to worry about trivialities like tuning and melody, instead relying on pure gut instinct. That Chan Marshall's voice is so sweet is a bonus.

Bottle in hand, picking at the label, howling at the moon.

Iris DeMent - Infamous Angel (1992)

At first appearance, a pleasant, conventional country pop album. But then, without warning, DeMent's voice stops you dead in your tracks, innocent, hurt, so pure and removed from the modern country chick diva. Yes, having a duet with Mum is dead cheesy but make no mistake, this is the real deal.

Vashti Bunyan - Just Another Diamond Day (1970)

Magical, heartfelt collection of serene British folk and lost lullabies. Bunyan's voice is a beautiful, ghostly thing that cuts through any pretence of 'twee' or cuteness.

One of a kind.

TLC - CrazySexyCool (1994)

The peak of the modern girl group.

Siouxsie and the Banshees - A Kiss in the Dreamhouse (1982)

How something this colourful, psychedelic, funny and sexually demented gets described as 'goth' I don't know. Must've been the lipstick.

Le Tigre - Le Tigre -(1999)

I've always taken 'Transformer''s "who took the bomp from the bompalompalomp?" to mean who took the 'roll' from 'rock n' roll'. The answer being blokey of course.

Furious, feminist, garage punk - pop wailing from the ex - Bikini Kill.

https://soundcloud.com/bad-little-kittens
My Top 100 LPs
My Top 52 Indie Tracks Of The 21st Century (incomplete)
Badlittlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote