Music Banter - View Single Post - The Official "Music Was So Much Better in the Glorious Days of Yore" Thread
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2011, 05:17 AM   #340 (permalink)
Zer0

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastingas10 View Post
I had a feeling you would. You think that any one of these electronic or "tecno" musicians are as talented or as influential as some of the great classical composers like Beethoven? Or one of the brilliant jazz musicians such as Duke Ellington? Or one of the great sixties bands like The Beatles or The Velvet Underground? I dont think there is any question that the human involvement in music is diminshing.
I would say the likes of Kraftwerk or Richard D. James would have the same talent and vision as the artists you've mentioned. Human involvement in music is the same as it's always been. Music cannot magically create itself. Even if a computer is involved it requires creative human input otherwise it doesn't do a thing.

Quote:
Any real musician with a sense of rhythm wouldnt have much trouble making some beats with their computers or keyboards. On the other hand, any techo musician wouldnt be able to do what Bach or The Beatles or Louis Armstrong did. I dont see techno music ever making a cultural impact like Dylan or The Beatles made. I personally know some very talented musicians who dabble in Techno music just for fun and they will tell you that playing their instruments is much harder.
Creating music using computer software is not easy, and to create electronic music to rival artists like Boards of Canada or Aphex Twin requires a serious amount of talent and vision. I've been playing around with MIDI sequencers since I was 14 and I can certainly say from my experience that making electronic music is far from easy, it is a very tedious and frustrating process and it still requires some knowledge of music theory. Getting something that sounds any way half-decent requires a lot of effort and a very creative mind. Even after years of trying to create electronic music I still suck at it and have pretty much given up.

"Techno" isn't the correct term for the music you are describing but yes electronic music has already had a cultural impact. Just look at the rave movement of the late 80's/early 90's for example (which in itself is seen as a musical revolution) and the impact of this has lasted right up until this day in various strains of music.

Quote:
Alright, it's an instrument. One that doesn't take much talent to use. It's definitely one of the easiest instruments to "play."
Quote:
As important as Beethoven? Haha ya right. Maybe to you. It's not that hard to do, that's my point. A computer itself is not an instrument. It's the proper programs or devices that make it one.
Please make up your mind. In my view a computer is an instrument, it requires creative user input and produces sounds as a result of this input. How do you know if it's easy when you've never tried it yourself? Do you really think you could create something to match this? Good luck in trying.