Music Banter - View Single Post - What's The Latest Film You Have Seen?
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2011, 08:36 AM   #10688 (permalink)
bob.
Still sends his reguards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raust View Post
Eh it was alright. It seemed to borrow a lot from the original even with some similar scenes.
Spoiler for Spoiler:
Even going as far as to realize that any of the characters could be this alien and taking blood tests. The only difference was they never got to it
. I also found the original being much more frightening and unnerving then the prequel. The movie also didnt seem to be based around the same time the 1982 Thing took place.
Spoiler for Spoiler:
Maybe its just that The Thing is dated, but this movie is very modern and really didn't have the same feel as opposed to the other one.
It makes a decent movie though and I do kind of like how it ends where the '82 version begins. Kind of strange how they decided to make a prequel after 29 years. I would've been perfectly fine without one.
not really....if you think about it it was quite different...
Spoiler for scene:
the blood test in the original is very representative of what was happening at that moment....a bunch of kind of "working class" joes.....who feel that the thing infected blood will react to heat as if it is being attacked....whereas in the prequel its very thought out and scientific "lets expose our blood to the tissue of of the thing and look for cellular responses"....personally i thought it was great.....and of course a group of scientist are going to come up with a test

edit.....re-watching the 82 film....and at first they had planned to mix real time blood with sample each person had given before they got to Antarctica.....

as i said in my two previous posts about this film....the newer thing is seriously lacking all of the great film making that Carpenter put into the original (remake)....and is really more a fun monster romp

as for borrowing....i always felt that was alluded in Carpenters Thing....i mean they take off to check out the Nordic camp.....and see all this crazy shit....piles of burnt, gross and distorted flesh....they camp blown up and in complete shambles, people dead everywhere,....hmmmm kind of like the ending of Carpenters Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raust View Post
Yeah I'm aware that there was an original in '51. Is it similar to the '83 version of the film and begin the same way?
its a fun film....and basically has a very similar premise

Last edited by bob.; 10-24-2011 at 02:41 PM.
bob. is offline   Reply With Quote