Music Banter - View Single Post - The Faustian Pursuit of Music Acquisition
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2011, 07:28 PM   #21 (permalink)
Mrd00d
Stoned and Jammin' Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicr0n View Post
I do something similar to Mrd00d, in that three or four of my friends have copies (or large portions, in some cases, in that most people don't have a terabyte and a half of free space just for music) of my collection, and this serves a dual purpose. First, in the event of a hard drive failure I can reacquire my collection with minimal effort. And second, it introduces my friends to new music that they never would have found otherwise.

I've never felt 'burdened' by my collection -- I'm sitting on about 215,000 tracks, and most of the time I just run my entire library on shuffle (I've never been a huge 'album' listener, I kind of prefer the chaos of never knowing what's coming up next), and I'm quite content with that. I've been building this collection, with a few breaks due to lack of internet, for about ten years now, and I'm quite proud of it.

I also feel this need to sort of, I don't know, preserve music. I mean sure, all the famous, well known music is gonna be around forever, but what about all the lesser-known stuff, the stuff that barely anyone ever hears? Even if it isn't fantastic, it deserves to be preserved for future generations, at least in my opinion. So I acquire anything and everything that I can. I know I'll never listen to all of it, it's a literal impossibility when you look at my download vs. listening rate. But just to know that it's preserved, and that my friends, being how they are, pass around a lot of this lesser known music, and that it slowly sort of radiates out from my position to other places makes me feel like I'm doing something to maintain a medium that I care deeply about.

I literally lay awake at night thinking about all the stuff that is probably slipping through the cracks as I'm laying there -- small print runs that I'll never get my hands on, that will get lost in the folds of time. It makes me quite sad, actually.
Brilliant, yes, I'm glad you brought that up. And before I start, I'm glad someone else shares some sentiments with me. It may or may not be irrational, but I also feel the need off and on to preserve music. I remember at one point thinking to myself, before I realized the scope, that I would try to download everything. I would have every album by any and every band that I considered enjoyable (that alone I try to keep up with, but is still hard) plus a smorgasbord of 'classics' of genres I don't listen to that I ... might in the future (Let me go download butt loads of Hawaiian music, Celtic music, movie score-type music, flamenco, ). That's insane (for now). Until I can have 100+ TBs, and a download speed that exceeds 4 MB (or should I say, at least averages 4 if not exceeds), this can't be. But I reckoned I wanted to be familiar with and have access to all forms of media...

Nice collection by the way. I've gotten about 100k in 5 years, but I'm at my ceiling. Filled my space up, got about 5 Gigs left I use to grab new stuff, and if I keep it, I delete a movie or something. It's a buzzkill for me to have to pick and choose what to keep. I want to hoard all music, all movies, all tv shows. It's just not a reality (yet).

Imagine meeting someone and they ask you if you have <something> and you're like... "Oh yea. I don't know who they are/what it is, but I got em/it. Enjoy!" I think I wouldn't feel this way if things were faster overall. I just want instant, reliable access to all media without needing internet. The internet suffices in the meantime.

Mrd00d is offline   Reply With Quote