Music Banter - View Single Post - The Official "Music Was So Much Better in the Glorious Days of Yore" Thread
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2011, 05:15 PM   #370 (permalink)
Janszoon
Mate, Spawn & Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastingas10 View Post
Albums like revolver and sgt peppers were pretty innovative albums. I dont see how those are pop albums. I disagree. They werent just going along with the pop music at the time, they were setting the bar for popular music.
They were pop albums because they had all the attributes of pop. Here's wikipedia's description of pop music, I'd say it's a pretty good fit for the music made by the Beatles:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Pop music (a term that originally derives from an abbreviation of "popular") is usually understood to be commercially recorded music, often oriented toward a youth market, usually consisting of relatively short, simple songs utilizing technological innovations to produce new variations on existing themes. Pop music has absorbed influences from most other forms of popular music, but as a genre is particularly associated with the rock and roll and later rock style.
---------

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastingas10 View Post
And on albums like the ones I just mentioned, they were doing somethig new, they were doing their own thing. Give me some examples of people who used those types of instruments in rock n roll before the beatles.
Off the top of my head: Buddy Holly. That was in the 50s.

Also, as I mentioned earlier, Phil Spector.
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote