Music Banter - View Single Post - The Official "Music Was So Much Better in the Glorious Days of Yore" Thread
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2011, 10:13 PM   #395 (permalink)
Ska Lagos Jew Sun Ra
\/ GOD

Firstly, Rock N' Roll is pop. From it's beginning it was intended to be a simple, blatant, accessible music. In fact, it was much more simple than jazz(even of the poppy swing variety), and that's not a statement of quality.

Secondly, The Beatles were not that ahead of times. They just applied a thousand layers of polish to simple songs. Structurally, the majority of their work was the same straight forward guitar rock they started with. No extravagant solos, generally short song lengths, fleshed out harmonized vocals, easygoing fan pleasingly ambiguous attitude

If you really want something groundbreaking from the 60s that shows cutting edge experimentation you pick up Sun Ra's 'Heliocentric Worlds of Sun Ra Vol. 1' that came out the exact same year as Rubber Soul. You may not like it, then again it's not pop music.

Thirdly, the Jazz/Blues comment was racist, and really unfound. Believe it or not, there is quite a lot of black youth still oriented in both genres. Blues especially in the sense of, who are you to say you 'understand' blues? I don't think ANY youth in modern day America could truly understand blues. Enjoy it, yes. Be a history snob about it, yes. Understand it? **** no.

Fourthly, I've seen this Beatles argument 180000000000000000000 times before, and even have been in it. There's no point in continuing it. Becoming the only thing that Janzsoon does that bothers me.

Fifthly, BlastingGas is showing a huge double standard by seemingly only liking pop music but then being offended that the Beatles are pop because it's pissing on their "groundbreakingly experimental genius", and after ****ting on truly experimental cutting edge music.
Ska Lagos Jew Sun Ra is offline   Reply With Quote