Music Banter - View Single Post - Tom Waits - Bad As Me
View Single Post
Old 10-28-2011, 06:06 AM   #7 (permalink)
Janszoon
Mate, Spawn & Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan View Post
Interestingly, this is my only contention with the album. I love the dirty production of his albums, especially on Mule Variations, and it's absence here takes the album from Perfect to Great. The production still has that signature post-Swordfishtrombones Waits album sound though, and the songwriting is incredibly strong.
I definitely can understand why you wouldn't like the production, dirtiness is such a key component of his style after all. Honestly, if you told me before listened to it that the album had clean production I would have predicted that I wouldn't like it, I was really surprised by how much I enjoyed that aspect though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan View Post
I half agree about the ballads, but I've always liked the ballads of his post-James Taylor clone days. The ones on Mule Variations are his strongest, in my opinion.
I agree with you about the Mule Variations ballads, they are definitely a cut above, especially "Picture in a Frame" and "Take It With Me". Except for that album and a few other ballads here and there by him, I generally wish he steered clear of that style. Alice, for example, is my least favorite of his albums because it's almost entirely filled with ballads.
Janszoon is offline   Reply With Quote