Music Banter - View Single Post - Groups or Solo Acts...?
View Single Post
Old 10-28-2011, 02:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
Electrophonic Tonic
Your Ad Here

Default Groups or Solo Acts...?

So, today our school radio station was having a fairly intelligent conversation about why there seems to be fewer and fewer rap groups, compared to solo rappers. They essentially boiled it down to there is a lack of interest in the musical aspect in rap, compared to the lyrics now. In some ways, I think that is right. Think about it... name 10 popular, relevant solo rapper today. Easy. Name 5 popular, relevant rap groups today... much harder.

That might make some sense. I have always given the music and beats as much, sometimes more attention, that the lyrics. My favorite raps artists are all groups (Dalek, Public Enemy, Beastie Boys, The Roots, Company Flow). So, there may be some credence to that point.

I do think there is also another factor for this trend, and that is the attitude of the genre in recent years. There is a belief that all people rap about today is bitches, cars, money, bling, bitches, baby mamas and bitches. When the lyrics are about such material and possessive things (i.e. what I have and what you don't have), the group format is impossible. That's just one way I see it. Granted it's not a black and white issue, but it more often than not feels that way.

What do you think and do you have a preference for groups, solo acts, or you don't care/notice either way.
Electrophonic Tonic is offline   Reply With Quote