Music Banter - View Single Post - Surreptitiously, However...
View Single Post
Old 10-29-2011, 05:22 AM   #32 (permalink)
The Fascinating Turnip
Moper

The Divine Comedy

I've been listening quite a lot to this band lately, and I cannot but alert to the genius of Mr. Neil Hannon. Throughout the years the band has been through a great number of line up changes and Mr. Hannon has been the only constant member, writing almost all of The Divine Comedy's songs, among which are absolutely brilliant tracks.
I say this because it seems to me that their 9 studio albums and live album go quite unnoticed. Possibly because their music videos are usually a bit rubbish. In any case, the songs are brilliant and you should bloody give them a listen, if you like both a bit of a silly, foppish approach to pop music and truly gripping tunes that make the hairs stand on your neck.

Do you want a few examples? Of course you do, you silly sods:

Now that is what I call a bloody brilliant chorus. One of my favourites.

This is probably their most popular song, a bit of a jaunty tune about getting rid of your worries by having a go on the National Express. Ah, trains...

They took her Daddy's car, drove it to the sea and wrapped it around a tree. That's basically it. Again, a bit of an upper class twit song.

And now for something completely different:

And let's not forget that the theme song from Father Ted is one of theirs and that they also wrote My Lovely Horse, which is nothing short of brilliant.
Well, excuse my terseness, but it's a habit I find hard shaking.

Ah go on, Mbers, give them a go!

Last edited by The Fascinating Turnip; 11-03-2011 at 11:21 AM.
The Fascinating Turnip is offline   Reply With Quote