Music Banter - View Single Post - Should rock be considered prog just because it's technical?
View Single Post
Old 10-29-2011, 06:12 PM   #43 (permalink)
SIRIUSB
Luciferian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ska Lagos Jew Sun Ra View Post

I would say this song very much is a good example of promoting the compositional intricacy, and care that most mainstream rock is lacking. It's melodic, percussively interesting. Has moments of damn good coordination between instruments. A very unique aesthetic in terms of usage of carnival/cartoon tones(not many things in the 1970s were doing). Gradual progression. Unique structural elements. Nearly every instrument played masterfully. Apart from the vocals, gorgeously harmonic. Yet, even in the harmonic moments, no fear in experimenting in polyphonic, and light avant-garde elements. Plus, distinctly rock in tone(even if the jazz elements are very strong).

Just because it isn't 'serious' I don't think the craftsmanship in terms of musicianship really need to be discredited.

Where as Jethro Tull is significantly more simple rhythmically. Significantly less subtle thematically. More needlessly repetitive. Too focused on that catchy hook which makes rock accessible. Great band, worse example of 'progressing' from rock norms.
Cool stuff . . . reminds me of Vander Graaf Generator and other English PR bands! I guess I just have a warm spot for Tull, but they use odd time sigs expertly, are perfectionists and excellent musicians, incorporate classic themes brilliantly, and have a the finest lyrics ever.

What about other mainstream PR bands like Yes and Brand X?
SIRIUSB is offline   Reply With Quote