Music Banter - View Single Post - Groups or Solo Acts...?
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2011, 01:04 AM   #3 (permalink)
Sparky
not really

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrophonic Tonic View Post
So, today our school radio station was having a fairly intelligent conversation about why there seems to be fewer and fewer rap groups, compared to solo rappers. They essentially boiled it down to there is a lack of interest in the musical aspect in rap, compared to the lyrics now. In some ways, I think that is right. Think about it... name 10 popular, relevant solo rapper today. Easy. Name 5 popular, relevant rap groups today... much harder.
I don't necessarily know if this is true. The biggest names in hip hop from the 90's were both solo artists-tupac and biggie-as well as grandmaster flash, ll cool j, nas, etc. I think it's always been the same consistency more or less. They'res a lot more marketability in solo artists, which is why i think you seen that more on the radio/music videos.

Quote:
When the lyrics are about such material and possessive things (i.e. what I have and what you don't have), the group format is impossible.
I don't really understand this viewpoint. They'res plenty of songs with mainstream rap artists collaborating on tracks with simple subject matter, usually about ass. They manage to make a chorus and multiple verses...I might just be misinterpreting you.

Quote:
What do you think and do you have a preference for groups, solo acts, or you don't care/notice either way.
I don't have a preference. It's all a collective effort anyway, with multiple producers and guest appearances being standard for rap albums.
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote