Music Banter - View Single Post - Bob Dylan
Thread: Bob Dylan
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2011, 11:08 PM   #305 (permalink)
SATCHMO
Al Dente

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastingas10 View Post
Thats exactly what I felt like doing. Hunter Thompson was a great writer, people should hear what he has to say about Dylan. This is the Bob Dylan thread, theres no rule that I cant post a quote about him. Give me an effin break man. Its the Bob Dylan thread for christ's sake, anything about him is relevant. I admit, I was off topic on the other thread but I havent done a damn thing wrong on this one.
There's absolutely nothing wrong with quoting anyone on this forum, especially Hunter S. Thompson whom-- if you haven't figured out by now--I absolutely adore. You didn't violate any forum rules and I didn't give you an infraction, ban you, or send you a private message telling you not to do anything that you've done.

Yes, Hunter S. Thompson was a brilliant and talented writer and I believe that the quote you posted by him speaks quite eloquently of Mr. Dylan, whom I also admire, but probably not to the degree that you do, however...

You are not Hunter S. Thompson and by quoting him in a manner which simply catapulted some giant cut-and-pasted glob of of another writer's handiwork with out so much as quotation marks, quote tags, Italics, or even a preface as to why or how you thought his opinion was relevant, noteworthy, or represents your own opinion in any way just shows a great deal of laziness and a lack of both reasoning capacity and original thought. It also really does no justice whatsoever to Hunter Thompson's writing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastingas10
Thats all the Dylan haters:

If he isnt the greatest songwriter/lyricist ever, then who is? Besides Leonard Cohen, and I dont even think Leonard is better.
Bob Dylan's career was founded on his obsession with Woody Guthrie. Although one could never accuse him of plagiarism, he obsessed over Guthrie to the degree that Dylan's entire singing style and song writing rhetoric was initially a caricature of someone else. He is an amazing songwriter and his influence on contemporary music is beyond immense, but to call him the greatest songwriter/lyricist ever is a very tall order and much of his reputation as such is a matter of him riding the coattails of his own legend.

Some songwriters that I think are as good, if not better than Dylan are:

Neil Young
Tom Waits
Bob Marley
Joni Mitchell
Elliot Smith
Ray LaMontagne
Hank Williams
Stephen Merritt
Mose Allison
Pete Seeger
Steve Earl