Music Banter - View Single Post - Pre-WWII Avant-garde Music
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2011, 10:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Sneer
Let it drip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Pat View Post
The Avant-garde/Experimental forum is a bit inactive, so I figured I would make a new thread in an attempt to draw some attention towards it...

Of course, we all know of musicians like Stockhausen, Cage, Xenakis, Partch, and Sun Ra, but... those were all post-WWII avant-garde composers. So... who were the pre-WWII avant-garde composers? People such as Luigi Russolo (as well as many other Futurist composers), Charles Ives, Edgard Varese, and Henry Cowell are a few of whom I'm able to mention. Although, I suppose I could also include Erik Satie and Arnold Schoenberg (who, at least, had some influence in its creation).

Thoughts? Opinions?

I can't say I'm all that knowledgeable on the subject myself (which is part of the reason why I made the thread), but I would love to learn more about it.
I'm in a similar position to you with this really. I know the so-called 'American Experimental School'; Ives, Ruggles, Becker, Cowell and Reigger, to varying degrees, whilst I'm also familiar with Varese... I know Stravinsky, Honegger and Antheil were influential too but beyond these guys my knowledge is limited.

Avante-Garde music didn't really exist as a movement until the 1950s any way, or so I understood? I suspect somebody will correct me on this.
Sneer is offline   Reply With Quote