Music Banter - View Single Post - The British Invasion! NEED HELP!!!
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2011, 03:34 PM   #33 (permalink)
RMR
Front to Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ska Lagos Jew Sun Ra View Post
There's a few things wrong with this statement:

1) not every British band is part of an 'invasion'. During the 70s there were a lot of popular American bands(Alice Cooper, Kiss, The Eagles, Aerosmith). In fact, America probably took more than 50% of the rock share at the time. Even if they didn't, I don't think the fact that British bands were still popular, and noteworthy bands like Black Sabbath were British, constitutes as an 'invasion'.

2) The entire progressive movement? That's not true at all. If anything listen to middle European psychadellic rock in the 60s, they were melding classical, jazz, and avant garde in an arguably 'progressive' way for awhile(ask Jack Pat, he's discovered a few of them). Not to mention, middle European progressive rock. Canterbury may have been the catalyst. King Crimson, Yes, and Genesis might have been British bands as well. But does that mean to discredit Gong, Magma, Amon Duul, Faust, Can, etc. from being important prog bands?

3) Brit pop is entirely unfair. It's like saying "The Japanese are the absolute kings of J-pop, no country compares".

The 'British Invasion' is a significant event in music history, but the problem is, it's hyped as the birth of music. I mean, guitar rock has always had an undeserved bias in it's popularity. Rock N' Roll was in it's infancy at the time, to be honest, and exploded as the 'replacement' for genres like jazz which were hitting new heights of maturity.
I agree with most of your response, and my comment on Brit Pop was really tongue in cheek; however, I do think the primary (or the most important) players in the original progressive rock movement were British. Sure, there were bands from outside the UK that played a pivotal role (PFM from Italy being another example), but with King Crimson, Yes, Genesis, ELP, Jethro Tull, Van Der Graaf Generator, and Gentle Giant all being British... that certainly constitutes some sort of invasion, or at least some sort of something.

This topic is bizarre