Music Banter - View Single Post - The Playlist of Life --- Trollheart's resurrected Journal
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2011, 06:01 AM   #442 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Okay, I have never done this before, and it's not what I started this section for, but this is such an unusual and even unique situation that I feel it qualifies. When Bon Jovi released “This left feels right” in 2003, they reinterpreted some of their bigger and more popular songs, giving them a fresh twist. Many were meh, some were really good, but what they did with “It's my life” truly set the song apart. So much so, that although it's their song, I almost consider the version of “This left” to be a cover, albeit by the same band.

Can a band cover their own material? No of course they can't, but let's leave the semantics to one side just for now, and humour me. Have a listen to the original from “Crush” and see how much they changed it for “This left feels right”. There's no question that if another band had done the second version it would have been hailed as a stunning cover, or reinterpretation, and the fact that it was the original artiste who released the new version doesn't in any way, to my mind, take away from the truly unique slant they put on this song.

Don't believe me? Here, cop an earful of the two versions below, see if you don't agree.