Music Banter - View Single Post - 13 Listed Genres Your Favorite Album of Each
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2011, 10:48 PM   #7 (permalink)
hip hop bunny hop
Music Addict

Classic Rock: Little Richard - The Masters
So many great hits.... Good Golly Miss Molly, Tutti Frutti, Long Tall Sally, etc. I know I'm taking the genre's name in the literal sense, but - well - I'd take Little Richard over any of Zeppelin or Clapton nonsense.

Blues: Black Sabbath - Paranoid
Because I don't like much blues.

Jazz: Charles Mingus - Oh Yeah!
As far as I know the only album where he plays piano. It's the only Jazz album I can think of that is engaging and genuinely fun to listen to.

Pop: James Brown's Funky Christmas
"The football, huh, the funky football..." is an actual lyric. Oh, and at the end of the first track, I'm pretty sure a drug deal is going down. The album is ****ing amazing, too - it seems sincere, not just a cash in.... and it's still funky.

Folk: R. Crumb Sampler
"Get A Load of This", "My Girls Pussy" = classics, especially the former. Lyrics go something like, "Girlfriend's best she ain't like no other/let's me spend all day in front of that 24 inch colour/ brings a load, RC Cola, TV Dinner, Plate of twinkies...."

The able is roughly divided between the two singers and their covers. Cash's covers are mostly traditional, but Lewis does Hank in his own style. The original 'Jambalaya (On the Bayou)' is great, but to hear it with piano in an almost rockabilly style... amazing.

Punk: Negative Approach - Total Recall
Best hardcore band of all time. Seriously, how can people like those preachy bastards in Minor Threat more than this great band?!?

Rock: Judas Priest - Sad Wings of Destiny
"Tyrant" & "Genocide" are my two favorite Priest songs. The pace is moderate, but the songs still have a driving rhythm.

Psychedelic/Trippy (aka any favorite trippy album): I hate music you have to take drugs to enjoy.

Reggae: Bounty Killer
Unlike most reggae, this actually moves with a purpose. Energetic, entertaining, and you don't have to be stoned to enjoy it.

Hip-Hop: MC Solaar - Prose Combat
I don't speak French (at all), but he doesn't just have simplistic beats; actual melody and harmony is to be had, although it's anything but R&B.

Electronic (yes I know this is painfully vague but who has the time to mention all sub-genres): Kraftwerk - Radio-Activity
My first Kraftwerk album. The harmonies on "Airwaves"; simplistic and lush. I'd really like to sit these guys down, put on Burzum's "Filosefem", and inform them they are a major influence of Vargs.