Music Banter - View Single Post - Do you think that music can be divided into good and bad?
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2011, 06:17 AM   #70 (permalink)
lucifer_sam
Unrepentant Ass-Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGANGELICA View Post
This sort of analysis of music, like other forms of art criticism or appreciation, may seem academic and rather like the horror of killing a beautiful butterfly and then putting a pin through it, but seeking to understand *why* different music appeals to different people and why many people may appreciate the same song is fun to me. I want to understand the allure of music by going beyond "I like it" or "I don't like it." Add in brain scans of people listening to music, and it would be even better!

Thinking about my own criteria for judging music that I like or don't like challenges me to break down a "gut" reaction and try to understand it. I think the music someone likes is similar to a personality test and may reveal a lot about a person, even to herself or himself. Music is the psyche, turned into sound.
You should read this, then. It's very insightful for the academically-oriented music listener.